best choice for lead-free wave soldering
SN100C is a lead-free solder alloy developed by Nihon Superior in Japan that is comprised of tin-copper-nickel + germanium. SN100C offers user-friendly properties and has been proven in commercial production since 1999. The result of these advantages is that SN100C offers high-throughput and the lowest cost of ownership as compared to any other lead-free solder alloy.
SN100C at a glance
- Does not contain silver or bismuth.
- Eutectic alloy.
- Bridge-free and icicle-free soldering.
- Smooth, bright, well-formed fillets, free of gross micro-cracks, irrespective of the cooling rate.
- Good through-hole penetration.
- Good topside fillet formation.
- Dross rate equal or lower than tin-lead solder.
- Does not require a nitrogen atmosphere.
- Does not erode copper from holes, pads and tracks.
- Low rate of copper leaching makes it easy to control the copper content of the solder bath.
- Lower aggressiveness to stainless steel and other solder pot materials as compared to tin-silver-copper alloys.
- Thermal fatigue resistance and creep strength better than tin-lead.
- Slow, even growth of the intermetallic layer at the solder/substrate interface.
- Also performs well in selective and dip soldering.
The bottom line
Customer experience over several years is that the TOTAL cost of running a standard wave soldering machine with SN100C when all factors are taken into account can be up to one third the cost of running the same machine with tin-silver-copper alloys. The actual saving in each case will depend on the number of factors that apply, but the cost of running a line with SN100C is always lower than the cost of running the same line with tin-silver-copper.
- Bar Solder
- Solder Bath Top-Off Alloy (SN100Ce)
- Wire Solder
- Other forms such as Solder Paste, Spheres, and Preforms.
Successfully tried and tested
Leading electronics manufacturers throughout the world have used SN100C with outstanding results. To date, millions of circuit boards have been assembled with the SN100C family of solders in all types of products. Many of the devices soldered with SN100C already have been in use for several years.
AIM has already helped multitudes of manufacturers implement lead-free soldering, and we invite you to benefit from our expertise. Our services include process audits, solder pot analyses, and on-going applications support. The issue of lead-free soldering can be complex. We are here to help you from changeover right through to optimization.